For those who are struggling with slimming, Weight loss pills seem to promise the prospect of a magic medicine that does it all. Pretty tempting! Weight loss pills come in a whole variety of types, some of which work, and some of which don't. So what are the options?
Weight loss pills work by doing one or more of the following:
- Curbing your appetite so you don't eat so much.
- Blocking carbohydrates or fat from foods
- Speeding up your metabolism so you burn more calories throughout the day
A survey of the market reveals the following categories of weight loss pills:
Perhaps the most interesting product to emerge recently is Hoodia gordonii. Taken from a cactus that grows in the Kalahari desert in South Africa, Hoodia gordonii appears to contain a wonder ingredient that curbs your appetite and helps you slim.
- Appetite Suppressants
- Carb Blockers (see below)
- CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)
- Cortisol Control (Cortisol is the body's primary stress hormone. It tells the body to do two things - increase appetite and store fat.)
- Cutting & Sculpting Agents
- Ephedra (A stimulant - banned in many countries due to its side effects)
- Fat Blockers
- Fat Burners
- Female Weight Loss
- Hoodia (see below)
- Stimulant Free Products
- Thermogenic Muscle Building
- Thyroid Support
- Combination products (stacks)
Another popular category these days are the various Carb Blockers. By slowing the body's absorption of carbs, they allow you to lose excess pounds while still eating some of the foods you enjoy.